Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 2 Morning

This morning we went to Yellow Creek which was our first opportunity to collect water samples. This area is one of the earliest coal mines. The mining was complete and the mine abandoned by 1906. The gray rocks in the area are sandstone. All the water is acidic, but it is not because of pyrite. We walked out to a unique environment that was like a self-contained little world. There were little sundew surrounding the bog water. The ground was covered with sphagnum moss which made it very soft, and the ground would pull in your shoes. The area was full of cotton grass, ferns, and low bush blueberries. I even picked my own blueberries! I am really acclimating to the environment because a huge spider climbed up my foot, and I just knocked it off without incident!


No comments: